Exceptional Care Locally  [return to the list of articles]

In the recent past, many patients were forced out of town for surgical procedures. Many reasons led to this…from availability of newest technology to concerns about the care of the patient while hospitalized. Even today when I tell patients that they need a certain procedure done, the first question they often ask is, "Can this be done here?" or "Where do I have to go to have it done?"

There has been a movement recently in Hazleton to improve the quality of care with the newest technologies and procedures once only available at university hospitals. Many surgeons are university trained and attend conferences to continuously improve the quality of care to their patients.

For example, many major vascular surgical procedures are now routinely being performed at both hospitals of the Greater Hazleton Alliance. These procedures range from Carotid Artery Surgery and Leg Bypass procedures to Aortic Aneurysm Repairs. Much of the new technology including Angioplasty and Stenting are currently being done as out patient procedures. Availability of Endograft Stenting for Carotid Disease and Endovascular Repair of Aneurysms are done in conjunction with Vascular Surgeons at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia and will soon be available in Hazleton.

Many routine surgical procedures: Hernia Repairs, Gallbladder Surgery, Hiatal Hernia and Reflux Surgery, as well as Colon and Bowel Surgery are done on a daily basis. All of these procedures are being done by conventional surgery of Laparoscopically (minimally invasive) according to the patient's indications.

Other procedures such as Pediatric Surgery, Stereotactic Breast Biopsy, Thyroid Surgery, Minimally Invasive Thoracic (chest) Surgery, and "Seps" Procedure for Chronic Leg Ulcers are just a few of the long list of procedures available locally, in addition to the Hernia, Gallbladder and Breast Surgeries done here for years.

Quality surgical care can be obtained with all the comforts of home. For more information, call 459-5607.